Thursday, September 1, 2011

Number of Players

As of now, there are three players in the AD&D campaign I plan to start after Labor Day.  I am sure there will be some fluctuation with some not being able to play some nights and we may get another player added later on.  As a GM, now I have to start gearing up the campaign, particularly the adventures towards that number of players.  I don't tend to have NPCs go along, and for whatever reason we rarely use hirelings.  If an NPC does go along I like it to a single individual who plays an auxiliary role so as not to take the action away from the players. 

I don't use too many canned modules, although I have one or two I put to the side, under glass "break in case of an emergency adventure is needed."  Most of the old AD&D modules are written for 6 to 8 players.  I've only ever had that players once for a campaign.  Most of my groups tend to be very small two to three players and there are times when we've done some one-on-one.  So when I start making these adventures for the players I'll need to consider their number.  Some encounters will be the same no matter if it was one or a hundred players.

Another thing to consider is the classes.  Rob made a super strong smash and bash fighter.  Not sure what the other two will play, but I do like to tailor make adventures for players.  Once I find out their strengths and weaknesses and motives I can develop something that will be fun for all of them.  And develop the backstories and other fun conflicts. 

Iplan on posting alot of the development stuff here.  And I haven't stopped working on Starter Adventures.  I'm actually rewritting one section and adding two more sections. 

8 comments:

  1. Three players isn't a bad number. Some modules might be made difficult, I guess, but other than that not a biggie.

    I played quite a bit of my AD&D career with two sometimes three players.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will probably opt for a cleric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate-I play a lot of sessions with one player, and some with two. One day I hope to have a third.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In AD&D a small party isn't that great an issue. Hirelings, Hirelings, Hirelings!

    Oh, an the odd henchman of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I can't imagine balancing encounters for a party that small. I'm used to 6 or 7 players in groups, but I prefer 5, when I get my druthers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With three or less characters (and no hirelings/henchies/NPCs), balance is really about running.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And the thing to remember about running is that it is not important to be the fastest character, but it is vital to not be the slowest.

    ReplyDelete