Friday, November 1, 2013

A Practice in Self Flagellation

Day one of NaNoWriMo started off shaky.  I thought I had an idea of where I wanted to start, but when I sat down everything seemed simple, stupid and worst of all, boring.  But I kept hitting the keyboard until it stopped boring me.  Yes, I will blame my keyboard for now. 

I have a timer I use when I write so I can keep track of how long I've been at it.  Especially when doing the 50k words in a month.  That breaks down to 1666.666 words a day.  See, even the devil own NaNoWriMo.  That's why its such a pain. 

After two hours I got in 1700+ words.  I'm looking to get a minimum of 1.7k words a day.  Ideally I would like to get in 2.5k words a day so if I need to take a day off I have a little breathing room.

Do I like what I wrote so far?  No yet.  I think there are kernels of some fun characters, but not enough there at this time.  As for place, it's so generic.  I need to get into more details of the area and a little background. 


I plan on going back and writing for a little while longer.  The great thing about NaNoWriMo is it is focused on producing.  I, like many people get caught up with the details, get hung up on small problems, fiddle with crap that doesn't matter.  This month its about producing content.  The details be damned now.  Your job is to apply ass to chair and keep typing until the blood drips from your eyes and tips of your finger snap off.  Or for most of you, until the coffee runs out. 

3 comments:

  1. You go, sir. I'm sending you all my karma for November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50k seems a "short" novel, but then it would have to be, given you've only a month to get it written.

    Proof read.

    Edited.

    Or do you guys do any of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The very best of luck to you sir - you have my utmost respect : )

    ReplyDelete