Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What Gaming Stuff I've Been Tinkering With


I'm stilling tinkering around with publishing a couple adventurers I have in the final stages, but found out one of them has an outdated map.  Rob Conley redid the map, but can't seem to find the final edited version.  I did a lot of renumbering and editing to have the adventure make more sense...I think.  So when Rob get back from vacation I'll see if he still has a copy.

My second adventure in the final stages is being a pain in the ass to layout.  I'm sure it's a simple fix, but one that eludes me at the moment.  Ivy did the artwork for this one and I think the pictures came out pretty well. 

For some reason I have been playing around with harpies.  I decided to mess with my own version of a monster manual.  I came up with a couple variations to mess with.  I'll probably post them later in the week.  I did a lot of research of the mythology and several of the existing gaming books on harpies including James Mal's Slayers Guide.  I jotted notes of the stuff I wanted to include on a note card and then filled in the gaps as I wrote about the harpies.

I've also been reading over the Dragon Age RPG books and I really like some of what they have.  Still fooling around with my own campaign world I really like the random table of advantages a character gets for belonging to a culture.  Plus, I think overall a 3d6 system is more suited to my tastes.  Being a huge GURPS fan for many years its not hard to imagine. 

The other think I've been writing about is critical hits.  This one was inspired from the session where we play tested Goodman Games new old school version game.  In his game I think the idea of the critical hit was good, but not the execution.  What I am mulling over is different classes would have different critical hit dice.  A fighter gets to roll a d20 where as a cleric rolls a d12, a thief a d10 and the mage classes would get to roll a d6.  This is only for armed combat not spells.  Of course the higher the number the more potent the critical will be.  But that means coming up with a 20+ list of effects.  Not enough brain power to attempt that yet.  And I am sure I will find a ton of critical hit lists that I can scavenge from.

Still waiting on my Swords & Wizardry book, hoping it was sent out in the last mailings and wondering if the rumors of the Castle Keeper's Guide are true.  The latter one I've waited for, for so long that I am almost indifferent about it now.  But not quite indifferent.  If the rumors be true than I am sure I will get it down the line. 

Have a good one. 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a full plate you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The technique you used working up the harpies works for me too, whatever the subject. Minimal notes, even key words if an outside source to avoid borrowing too much, then tieing together, then the draft.

    Hope you get that book soon. Just breathe slowly and deeply, be ready for the worst and expect the best. The gingerbread will be an A1 distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to see more of what you've got going on. I think 2011 will be a major project year for me. I totally agree about the CKG. I've pretty much lost interest in playing C&C. However, I'll probably pick up a copy just out of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also intrigued by the Dragon Age role-playing game and picked up a copy. Do I need familiarity with the MMO to enjoy it properly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trey> Yes I do, but its a good plate.

    Porky> I got my book tonight, actually its been in the post office for a week or something. The first notice slip failed to reach me. So I will get to read it over the weekend.

    Johnathan> Yeah Troll Lord Games has frustrated me. I'm not sure how much more I will invest my time into C&C, but I will check out of CKG.

    Christian> I never played the MMO either. I think it stands well on its own. If you get it let me know what you think because I don't know many others who have bought it.

    ReplyDelete