Saturday, April 6, 2013

Working on Appreciating S&W

April 17th is Swords & Wizardry Appreciation.  I'm really enjoying these appreciation days.  +Erik Tenkar is machine, he's been working tirelessly to organize this shindig.  Who knew he had the time to organize this and slap around Kickstarters?  There looks to be a lot of great prizes for some of the participants.  Currently there are 108 blogs participating.  I'm sure that will increase.  Here's a quick list of prizes.

Frog God Games will be giving away a PDF copy of Monstrosities to the blog post deemed "the best of the blogfest" by Matt, Chris and myself. You can also hit Frog God for snazzy graphics to show your support of the S&W Appreciation Day. 

+Jon Marr , also known as the main man behind Purple Sorcerer Games, is putting 5 PDF copies of The Ooze Pits of Jonas Gralk and 5 PDF copies of Perils of the Sunken City into the gift pool. While written for the DCC RPG, Jon will be posting an article on how to use DCC adventures and resources in your Swords & Wizardry game.

Spes Magna Games is giving away a $10 RPGNow gift certificate to a random participating blog.

Tenkar's Tavern is throwing in 1 $10 gift certificate and 3 $5 gift certificates to random participating blogs. As we have surpassed 100 participating blogs, I'll also be throwing in 2 $5 gift certificates to random commenters on the S&W Appreciation Day blog post that goes up on this blog on the 17th. If the winning commenters are also members of the 2,000 Coppers G+ Community, I'll double their gift to a value of $10.

 +matt jackson hinted the Chubby Monster Games may be participating.  He's a tease.

I'll be throwing in 5 PDF copies of The Manor to the blogs that I think are fantastic.  They can choose which ever issue they like, including the forth coming 4th issue.  And a bonus.
I'm sure there will be a few more prizes before it's all over.  The one indisputable fact of the OSR community is that they are generous with their time and stuff.  Assistance is never far if you give a shout out. 

I wanted to give you a peek at what I'm working on for S&W Appreciation Day.  The idea came to me at Hobby Lobby when I was cardstock shopping.  I picked up some small cardstock and bam.  Ivy said, "You got that look.  You're going to make something new aren't you?  How much money is it going to cost?"  That and recently enjoying Matt Jackson's Edge of Space booklets combined to give me the idea to do this...


It's a quarter sheet sized adventure zine. 


Here's a comparison shot.  It will be constructed just like an issue of The Manor.  Cardstock cover, 16 or 20 pages inside staple together.  The map and random encounters are on inside of the cover.  I've really enjoyed the project so far.  He's the blurb on the back.


Inside is a mini-adventure called, Faces Without Screams.  I've written the adventure using a 2nd person narrative to give it more immediacy.  The other thing I'll say this is more adult oriented material and its got a bit more attitude.  I'll offer this in PDF format for S&W Appreciation Day, but I also plan on sending out a limited number in print form for free.  I'm estimating a 25 at this time.

Have a great Saturday.  I think Spring has finally landed in NW PA so I am going to go grab my wife by the ass and see what kind of trouble we can get into.  

7 comments:

  1. That looks very cool! I too am moving in a direction of much more adult orientated (read: bloody, guts, nasty, weird, gross) style for the game I run and that is bleeding over to my creations as well.

    And now you have inspired me, I think I may do a print run of Lapsus Calumni....darn you!

    Have fun with Ivy, Boggy (Boogey? Can never remember!), looks like summer has finally arrived here as well...yard work here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt is waiting on the haikus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, that looks like it is going to be an awesome one-shot or campaign starter adventure.

    As for the S&W Appreciation Day, I just have to figure out what I'm going to write about…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I totally love that blurb on the back cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just posted Matt's generous offer to ALL the bloggers that participate. Damn we are rocking.

    I have more gifts to add to the gift basket later today.

    Here's the hint (not even hinting at the Tavern):

    The gifter's initials are JT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blurb...I'm experiencing an adrenaline rush now. Can't wait for my 2x2 copies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. matt is giving away volumes 1-3 of Moleskin Maps to all the bloggers that participate and Jeff T is giving away 3 PDF copies of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea

    ReplyDelete