Monday, December 22, 2014

Random Map Monday 1


I thought I would start participating in Random Map Mondays.  I draw enough maps.  When I watch Netflix or even while I am gaming, I'll draw an outline of a map or some idea of one.  I'm one of those folks that likes sensory overload so I can focus.  Yeah, I know, sounds like complete bullshit.  Probably is.

Anyway, I usually do three different levels of maps.  I don't tend to do world maps.  My largest map type is above.  A region map.  I always draw those using a hex grid.  I draw the maps on 3" x 5" index cards, scan them into the computer.  Then, for the region maps, I open the map in Paint.net and add the hexes.  Works fantastic, you can control the size of the hex and line thickness.  What color and so on.  Perfect for this kind of thing.  They also have one to add square grids.

4 comments:

  1. I like that shading around the edges of the forests. Are those coastal edges supposed to be cliff's? Is this freehand or some program mapper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shoreline on this one, as well as the sandy, arid regions to the north.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife tends to work in that same mode as you do, Tim. TV on, dog barking at a ghost or possum or cat, that odd jingle-jingle of more brandy swishing into her glass (coffee mug sometimes), but sure enough she knits, sews, cooks, talks about cleaning something, sometime, maybe, and keeps it all on track.

    I can't produce that way, though I grew up with the radio (now what we would call "Classic Rock") on all the time, but sound doesn't draw the eye like a television does. Mornings and evenings tend to be most creative for me.

    -Rick

    Nice map!

    ReplyDelete