Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th and Golfing with X Files

A little time off is always appreciated.  A good excuse to get big fat steaks and fire up the grill.  Medium rare please.  And really, if you say anything else, but medium rare shame on you.  This post is not game related at all, but a cool weekend geek connection.

I was at a golf outing this weekend for a scholarship fund.  The lady who ran it was my English teacher in high school a quarter century ago.  She said she got her cousin James Pickens Jr. to come in and that he played the chief on Grey's Anatomy.  Okay.  Having never seen or wanted to see an episode of that show I tried to sound interested.  I'm just going for the golf ,the charity and to bid on some goofy golf stuff (damn it, some peckerhead outbid me for the Walter Hagan putter...I've used peckerhead in two blogs in a row.  Must be my new favorite...anyway).

I got there early because the group I golfed with needed to bring a couple items in for the silent auction (which they promptly forgot).  I was on the putting green and got to speak with Mr. James Pickens Jr. for a short while staying clear that I hadn't watched an episode of his show.  But as I spoke with him his voice sounded very familiar.  I asked him if he'd been on another show.  He laughed and said "Yeah, I was on X-Files for a short while."  Bam!  Light bulb.  I was golfing with Deputy Director Alvin Kersh.  One of my wife's most hated characters on X-Files.  Right behind Mimi Rogers character, Agent Diana Fowley.  She didn't like the fact the Mulder had a chubby for her.  We golfed together for a practice hole then I didn't have much time to speak with him after that once the people came in, but it was a great event and a lot of fun.

Kersh without his golf clubs.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a damn good day and medium rare always, have yourself a good fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brush with celebrity and fat steaks on a grill--sounds like a good weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete