Thursday, January 19, 2012

GM Questionnaire

 Zak posted a DM questionnaire so here are my answers.  A little late.

1. Single invention most proud of?

I'm know I didn't 'invent it', but creating micro cultures.  The first one I remember doing is creating a culture on a slaver ship.  It had its own rules, hidden lore and a ruthless god (the slaver) they all feared.

2. Last time I DMed?
The 9th of January and have a newbie game lined up tonight.  I am taking 6 complete newbs into an old school adventure.  Looking forward to it. 

3. Last time I played?
About six months ago, when my group finished Rob's campaign in the Majestic Wilderlands.  Ashling Anubis, an elven mage thief character finished out at 11th level.  It was a lot of fun.  And I think the first time I played an elf in many years. 

4. Pitch for an adventure I haven't run.
 The Knights of the Round Table have died, Camelot stands empty and Mordred has risen from the dead to claim his father's throne.

5. What do I do while I wait for players to do things?
Listen.  Consider.  React.


6. Do I eat while I play?
Nothing most of the time.  When needed its usually fast food or pizza.  But always ice tea at the ready.


7. Is DM physically exhausting?
No.  In fact I find it exhilarating.   But I do keep a strict time schedule.  if we say we are playing til 9 then I end it at 9 or if a more natural ending come a little sooner then it ends then.

8. Do my players make my serious setting,  not serious?
I couldn't ask for a better group.  They have a great time, but go along with what I've developed.

9. Last thing I remember my character did when I played.
The last session in Rob's campaign we took on a godling.  Then I tried to teleport his body and critically failed and lost it. 

10. What do I do with goblins?
Goblins are my most versatile race.  They can be low end enemies or very amusing sidekicks.

11. Last non-rpg setting converted for a game.
 I have no idea.  I would guess I swiped parts of Sanctuary from Thieves World series.

12.What's the funniest table moment you can remember right now?
I would have to refer to answer to #9.  It was a campaign of critical failures and that was the climax of them.

13. What was the last game book you looked at--aside from things you referenced in a game--why were you looking at it?
GURPS Vikings, to get a better understanding of the cultural structure.

14. Who's your idea of the perfect RPG illustrator?
I guess I would need to go with Trampier, but there are so many good ones today.

15. Does your game ever make your players genuinely afraid?
In my recent game with the newbs, yes.  My Monday night game with old farts, no.


16. What was the best time you ever had running an adventure you didn't write? (If ever)
I can't think of any.

17. What would be the ideal physical set up to run a game in?
 A room with good ventilation, one of the virtual tabletops, a couple of good sized tables and chairs, a roof that doesn't allow any cell phone reception and an ice tea machine with an expert pizza maker making brillant pizzas in the back.

18. If you had to think of the two most disparate games or game products that you like what would they be?
CityBook series and Tome of Adventure Design.

19. If you had to think of the most disparate influences overall on your game, what would they be?


20. As a GM, what kind of player do you want at your table?
I like role-players who go with the game and not upset when things go bad.  I like players who get a good laugh after rolling a couple of critical failures at the worst time.  Players who just want to have a good time.  

21. What's a real life experience you've translated into game terms?
My RL occupation puts me in contact with intense and a wide variety of people.

22. Is there an RPG product that you wish existed but doesn't?
I computer mapping program I can understand.  The ones they have out now I can't seem to grasp.

23. Is there anyone you know who you talk about RPGs with who doesn't play? How do those conversations go?
Some of the people I work with ask questions about the game.  I don't go into too much detail because its really not the place to go into lengthy explanation.  And really, I don't like mixing the two. 

1 comment: