Monday, April 20, 2015

Random Map Monday 16


After receiving a brilliant map sketch by the ever brilliant +Simon Forster, I took inspiration from the bold colors he used.  I've been wanting to introduce more colors into my maps, find new ways to texture my map features.

I thought of an underwater coral reef.  One that possessed precious ores or resources to mine.  The orange areas are what I imagine is the precious resource location.  Underwater miner dudes finding a way to gather what they can.  Then I used two other colors and meshed them together.  I like the effect.  I like the color. 

In the bottom right corner is a drop off.  I took someone's suggestion and made the top line bolder and thicker to give a sense of that was up and what part of the ridge was down.  I think it works out.  The ridge drops into a deep dark water with not apparent bottom in sight.  That's the black swirly part.  I wish that would have come out a little better.

The weekend was very busy with the Swords & Wizardry project I completed, The Flayed King.  I went a little crazy and decided to make a print version and sent them out to folks.  Whew.  That was a lot of work.  Ivy even made homemade envelopes for them because they wouldn't fit in any of the envelopes I had.  All the print versions I had are gone.  No more will be printed.  But you'll be able to grab a copy from RPGNow for free+Jim Magnusson cover and art inside are amazing.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this map--great textures and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree. I like the colors and textures. Maybe because you used complimentary colors? Nonetheless, great map.

    ReplyDelete