Friday, January 30, 2015

Friday Feature: Drop Dice Tables


I've never been a big user of drop dice tables, but I saw this one posted by +Kelvin Green and instantly wanted to start dropping dice on it.  You can go to his blog, Aiee! Run from Kelvin's Brainsplurge!, to download it.  There are simple instructions, drop a d6 for every hit die of the creature, plus a d10.  A simple mechanic to figure out the value of the loot.  I really love the look and set up of it.

Now add +Dyson Logos's drop die encounter table and you have your "you got peanut butter in my chocolate" moment.  I may be aging myself with that comparison.  


Dyson's got a few of drop dice tables on his blog, so look around.  The worst you can do it run into one of his incredible maps. 

These two drop tables kindled my appreciation for drop dice tables.  I love the simplicity and the incredible artist value of each table. 

Both are free for the taking.  I suggest finding a map you like from Dyson page, or one of my little maps, use the drop tables and you'll have a cool little adventure in a few drops of the dice.

*Cautionary Note:  Because of the mechanic of dropping the dice, encourages bouncy dice, be aware bouncy dice like to go off the table.  If you are a dog owner (cat owners cat rule both upper and lower realms of your homes) and a die falls onto the floor, be prepared for an eventful chase.  Dice fit well into a dogs mouth and a perfect chewy for their sharp teeth. The black d20 took the worst of it.


7 comments:

  1. I see a drop table box as a future RPG product. A letter size box that you slip a piece paper onto the bottom of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most folks just use the top of whatever box set they have handy. By the way, gamescience dice tend to bounce and runaway less, animals not withstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vornheim is a published product that uses such a system to determine NPC stats and for combat rolls of all things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a Chainmail Onesie in the bottom row?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that is a bear rug, but I am sure if you use the table it'll be a onesie.

      Delete
    2. It is indeed a bearskin rug, but the next table will have a chainmail onesie!

      Delete