Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: The Veiled Invocation


I've been meaning to do a review of The Veiled Invocation since Dylan Hartwell came out with a while ago.  I picked it up in PDF and print format.  This review will be a bit bias because I had the privilege to have Boris included and take a look at the manuscript for you all did.  If you want to get a very cool in-depth look inside Dylan has a great video on his blog, Digital Orc, that goes through the adventure.

This is a adventure frame/setting.  It is an adventure arc that a GM can use to take his players from 1st level to sixth.  I see a lot of room to add your own flare to the adventures and have a adventure arc to tie adventures together gives the players direction and a place where GMs can build.

The gist of the adventure arc is to find the lost pages to a spellbook.  Once the pages are found they can be read and a powerful spell can be used.  The pages are spread about challenging the players to search forclues, beat up some bad guys and solve the mysteries.  Like any good book...hmm had to delete that part.  I don't want to give anything away.

Dylan is a one man show with The Veiled Invocation.  As he was with his previous two adventures.  He wrote it.  He arted it. He laid it out. 

Overall I like Veiled Invocation because I can see myself developing small adventures around his main adventure.  It is perfect for a short term campaign.  I think the purpose of the quest can fuel several game sessions and all the GM has to determine is how fast he would like to see the party advance.

So my advice is check out Dylan Hartwell's Veiled Invocation.  Get it print.  Or PDF.  But go for  the print version.  It's a great addition to the OSR library.

One suggestion to Mr. Hartwell.  When you get enough of your adventures done get it out on Lulu and RPGNow for a soft and hard cover print run.

4 comments:

  1. Just got mine in the mail the other day. I'm looking forward to reading through it. Some good stuffs being put out lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, Tim! I appreciate you getting the word out. I'm working on several more projects at the moment, including another print one.

    Your help, as always, has been indispensable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds cool. I'll have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm convinced - just placed my order for the print copy. Thanks for alerting us to this!

    ReplyDelete