Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Review: Side Treks - The Crossroads of Spyley

 +matt jackson, the guy who makes all those cool Moleskin Map series on RPGNow and his maps can be found in many OSR products including my own Manor zine a few times, has released what I hope will be a new line of products called, Side Treks.  His first venture out is called Side Treks: The Crossroads of Spyley.  

These kind of products have always been some of my favorites and ones I like to create myself.  The Crossroads of Spyley is a small location along a forest that can easily be plopped into your fantasy campaign.  If you need an interesting location for your players to stay at along the way or maybe their exploring the forest and need a base of operation this product does that and more.

First off, you get one of Matt's fantastic maps.  He's getting better with each product he produces.  The map is clean and crisp.  He has three buildings at the crossroads detailed within the overall map, The Drunken Dragoon (tavern), Marreno's Store, and a big ass barn.  This strangely rainy location is subtle and effective.  You're not going to find any huge drama going on, but some people going about there everyday life with interesting back stories.  It's a great canvas for a GM to create their own drama that could occur.  

And I love the reason why it is raining.  Nice touch.

I  really like The Crossroads of Spyley.  I will find a place in my current world to place it.  It's too good not to.  If your a fan of small interesting locations that you can use at a moments notice and love good maps then Side Treks: Crossroads of Spyley is for you.  It will cost you $1.99 to get a copy and is well worth it.

2 comments: