Thursday, March 27, 2014

RPG Carnival: Virtual Table Top Gaming

+Douglas Cole, yeah, the same guy who inflicted you with my interview, is promoting RPG Carnival featuring Virtual Table Tops and Online Gaming.  So here's my entry into the ring.

Fantasy Grounds 2
My first experience with a VTT was Fantasy Grounds 2 many, many moons ago.  We used this one for years.  There have always been issues with miniatures showing up for some and not others and connectivity issues for those will a slower internet.  But I think this is the most refined VTT available.  In my opinion it is the best looking table top, its virtual dice are the best I've ever seen and the rule support is fantastic.  Some my complain about what it costs, $39 to be able to run a game, but its a one time cost and there is a ton of support.  I've considered updating my license to the Ultimate License that way my players don't need to have a license of their own. 

Pros
  • Great ruleset support
  • Looks fantastic
  • Best virtual dice
  • It's easy to organize maps and documents
  • Adventures support
  • One-time fee

Cons
  • Connectivity issues
  • Vanishing pogs
  • Need to have some knowledge about ports
  • License cost may scare folks
Overall this is my VTT of choice, but because of the connectivity issues its tough to get some of my players in the game.  This was an issue over a year ago, but it was enough to make us move to the next VTT, but when I run my next games I would prefer to run them in Fantasy Grounds 2.

Roll 20
Roll20 is the other VTT our group uses.  What I like about this VTT is its simplicity.  It doesn't have a lot of extras (although its building them) it is easy to use and we've had a lot less technical issues.  Another thing that will appeal to folks is its base membership is free.  So you can hop on Roll20 and get a game started within minutes.  They have a cool on-line store that is building a cool library of pogs and maps.  Now you can subscribe at two different levels: Supporter which is $4.99 a month or $49.99 a year.  With that you get a dynamic lighting feature and mobile tablet support. Mentor which is $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year.  You get a lot more extras with this bundle.  Click on the link to see all the goodies that get stuffed into your basket. 

Pros
  • Initial membership is free
  • Easy to use
  • Very few technical issues
  • Growing store
  • The dynamic lighting feature is great

Cons
  • Clunk and ugly dice roller
  • On going subscription cost
  • There is a learning curve on how to organize campaign information
Both of these VTTs are great.  Each has their merits.  And both enable me to get together with my gaming friends and have fun on Monday nights.  Which is really, what it's all about.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that the port set-up was a pain with Fantasy Grounds. That said, once I got the port set-up taken care of, it was fine, though I've only used it as a player, not as a GM. Overall, I like the simplicity of Roll20, but that may also be due to the fact that we've played more with that since I've been in the group, so I just feel more comfortable with it.

    ReplyDelete