Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gamer Apathy

Yesterday was our Monday Night game.  I had been looking forward to it during the day.  Helps Mondays go by with a little less pain.  But then when the game started I just could not get into it.  I had no interest in what was going on.  It wasn't because of the GM or the gaming situation.  It was disappointing that I couldn't muster any of the interest I had earlier in the day.

Could have been tired from work.  Could have been I was waiting for the Steelers to play a sloppy game on Monday Night Football.  Could have been I had other things on my mind.  All of these.  None of these.  Combo.

We've been playing Monday night games for at least 5 years now I believe.  We've taken breaks, but they've been short.  I think we've played through a half dozen campaigns, most of which last a year long.  Our original group was 1 GM, 2 Players has grown to 1 GM, 6 Players strong.  Rarely does anyone cancel.  I would guess that 80% of the time we have the full crew.

What makes it work is we've committed to taking that time out of our week to get together (virtually, using Fantasy Grounds II and Skype) and play.  Its become an important part of my week and its great to get together with the guys and see what happens.

I guess I got some gamer apathy.  Plus with me losing two days worth of work on The Manor.  Frustrating.  But no time to be down.  Its Tuesday, we are planning to head to the bookstore, Ivy is dire need to get the latest Wimpy Kid book and maybe I can rewrite some of what I lost.

7 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. Sometimes it's not due to anything about the game or the participants, it's just your head's just not in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going through this, myself, at the moment. I'm just not as inspired by my game as I usually am, and I'm suffering from blogging apathy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coincidentally, I have been experiencing the same thing. I enjoy the game I play in, but I have no desire to write, read or do anything else related to rpgs outside of that. Like the ocean and it's tides, I guess it's all cyclical.

    By the by, that was not a pretty game last night, but at least the Steelers won and here's hoping Big Ben is on the mend since they have to face the Ravens in 2 of the next three games. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been feeling the same way at work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to leave a response, but...meh.

    Seriously though, I've actually been going through it for a couple months: gaming, work, etc. I actually think a lot of it (for my fellow Americans) is the stress and vitriol leading up to and surrounding the recent elections. Regardless of which side you were on, it was full of hatred, lies, and vitriol for 2 years. That kind of poison has a high DC save and deals about 3d6 Con damage.

    All I can say is keep your chin up and keep moving forward and we'll all get out from under this cloud soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a die made from real bone.

    ReplyDelete