Sunday, July 20, 2014

My 1st Character for D&D Next

Looks like Sidwin the Sharp is my first character for a new/old system.  I rolled 4d6 and wrote them from top to bottom, no changing them.  I used four precision dice from Dice God, Zocchi.  He smiled upon when I rolled. 


Usually I can tell if I am going to like a system when I create characters.  I enjoyed making Sidwin.  It is easy and yet has simple and effective options.  Gone are the video game mechanics of 4th edition that turned me off.  This system seems to have grabbed the best from the different editions and a few brilliant ideas from OSR systems. 

There will people who will crap all over it because it's WotC and Hasboro, but I'm judging on its playability.  I've had the chance to playtest it in the early stages and in the last stages.  So I'm looking forward to playing the final version. 


I've been reading through the Starter Set books and while I wish there was more in them to begin with I still think there is enough to get things going.  An inexpensive way to see if the game is for you.  And cool blue dice.  Dice are always a good thing.  And with the offering of the free PDF, I printed it out, 3-hole punched it and bound it together with bread ties.  I thought about getting fancy, but went old school, Wonder Bread style.


It fits into the box.  I've been going through it, but haven't sat down and read it from front to back.  I like making up characters and learning it that way.  Then read it.  I still need to wrap my head around the spell casting.  I think I've got it.  Almost. 

11 comments:

  1. Wonder Bread ties are definitely OG. Enjoy your new character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll be giving them a run in a couple of weeks. Gives me some time to read it more thoroughly.

      Delete
    2. I unfortunately, put my 3-holed print-out in a binder, so it does NOT fit in the box... lol 8')

      Delete
  2. A super-charming goal-oriented sociopath. Watch out world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Have you ever heard of a Sociopath that wasn't?

      Delete
  3. Run a game and I'll help you try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may do that Peter. And we'll test it out Quantum style!

      Delete
  4. It was fun, and I like my pre-Gen Noble Fighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey TS! Yeah I'm going to make another one here in a bit.

      Delete
  5. Nice. My game group is in a serious battletech phase right now, so it will be a few months beforre we get D&D going again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for putting his ability scores in the proper boxes ;)

    ReplyDelete