Sunday, July 27, 2014

Rearranging my Gaming Shelves

With the influx of gaming goodness that has been coming in lately I have to rethink my shelves. This is something I always dread doing.  Because I always want to redo the shelves in a different way, but then I end up putting back together the way they were in the first place.
This is only a simulation of what the actually event would look like if I did not keep my gaming books organized.

Normally I keep my books separated by system.  AD&D here, GURPS over there, Swords & Wizardry can fit in there and Blood & Treasure will do well there.  Now that I have so many different systems that its become more difficult to do it this way.

Last time I rearranged my gaming shelf I tried a different way.  I went with core rule books on a shelf.  A shelf for all my monster manuals.  Another for adventure modules, a section for developing adventures and a miscellaneous section.  I need a section for box sets.  Zines, of course.  And binders for gaming stuff for campaigns.  That's a lot to ask of some shelves. 

Plus, I need space for all the paper supplies for zines and adventures.

No easy task.  I believe I'm returning to my system based organization.  I need to figure out the space and who will go where in the hierarchy of systems on my shelf.

And I hate to admit it, but it may be time to purge some of my gaming stuff that I don't use or never plan to use.  Gah!

11 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same boat. I'm running out of house, and need think about perhaps pruning some stuff. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I saw the picture before I read the text and nearly fell off my chair. Glad to know it's only a hypothetical "this is what my game space would look like if..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added that later. I got to thinking people were going to think that was an actual photo of my gaming stuff. But it could look like that real easy.

      Delete
  3. Better divert a river and wash it all away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been downsizing my RPG collection for the last year and a half. Quite frankly, I'm happy that all of my RPG books can fit on a single bookshelf--save for those dragon magazines over there, and those dungeon magazines, too, and the binders full of campaign notes.

    Okay, so maybe not quite one bookshelf... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bad thing is I've given away a tremendous amount of gaming things through the years. I used to have Dragon magazines and miniatures and all the accessories that go with them. But I got rid of them.

      Delete
  5. Just about to do my annual sort of my den - this is what it looked like a few years ago. Now the books reach the ceiling and are double & triple stacked! The cupboards are full of at least 4 editions of D&D manuals, adventures etc, my shelves are overflowing with figures painted and unpainted. Not to mention 3 cats! https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanandliz/130635880/in/set-72057594110187256 https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanandliz/130635878/in/set-72057594110187256/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alan. I couldn't connect or find these pictures. Do I have to have a flickr account to view them?

      Delete
  6. Comics and magazine collectors boxes and the occasional old liquor box do the trick for me. Better labels on them would probably be smart too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My place goes back and forth like this and a collection of Banker's Boxes. I'd be sleeping somewhere under that pile. Books keep you warm.

    ReplyDelete