Sunday, September 16, 2012

Finding Nicholas Kramer

How many of you know the name?  Probably not one of the more popular names, but its in one of the most famous movies, Night of the Living Dead.  In the beginning of the movie Barbara, and her brother Johnny go to the cemetery.  Johnny utters some of the most famous words in horror movie history, "They're coming to get you Barbara."  Soon mayhem ensues and Johnny becomes lunch while Barbara hides behind a tombstone to watch.


Nicholas Kramer's tombstone.  Ivy and took a day trip to the Evans City Cememtary.  This is where the cemetery scenes were filmed.  It's been one of those trips we've been wanting to do for a while. 


It took a long time for us to find Nicholas Kramer.  But we did finally find the famous tombstone of Nicholas Kramer.


This is me making scary hands behind the marker.  Ivy said my right hand was scarier than my left.  What can I say, I'm not a profession scary hand maker.  It was a cool day trip, weather was great and the company was the best.

As a bonus we took a few pictures of the closed keeper house.


Pretty big place.  All of it was locked up except the door to the left had a hole in it.


So we took a picture of the inside.  I thought it was pretty creepy and very cool.


This keeper's house screams out to be included in my Rural PA segments in The Manor.  

*Sleestak Sunday will resume next Sunday.

10 comments:

  1. I'm impressed the tomb stone still looks like it did in the movie. If that was this country the moronic masses would have scrawled all over it or done something equally dumb.

    And I have to agre with Ivy, your right hand is definitely scarier - it's more talon-like in the picture ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy cool. I've been to Monroeville Mall for a DofD pilgrammage, but never thought of doing this. Tip o' the hat to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gotta disagree, your left hand scared the life out of me! Well done for tracking down an iconic piece of film history!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This. Is. Awesome.

    The movie was on television last week...and while my wife won't let me watch it with the kids around, I had to let them see the opening scene.

    Then on Friday night, sitting around the dinner table with my mom, my four-year-old daughter looks over at her brother and says, "They're coming to get you, Barbara" in a sufficiently creepy voice. My mom was flummoxed. My wife was mildly horrified.

    I was proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boric: That is fantastic. Thanks for sharing that story with us.

    It was indeed a fantastic day.

    ReplyDelete